So, I bought my house over 3 years ago from Mr. & Mrs. Smith (or at least that is what we will call them). Every couple of months I get an elderly woman at my door that is looking for her son, Mr. Smith. When this first started happening I wasn’t home and I would get home to find little notes left on my door asking them to please let her be a part of their lives. If that doesn’t make you sad when you get home after a long day of work I don’t know what would…seriously!
Months passed and I didn’t get anything then I was home one night when she came and she was looking for her son. I kindly told her that I had purchased the house a couple of years ago and her son didn’t live there anymore. One would think that is the end of my story. But no…oh no!!
Earlier this year I got home to find a graduation announcement left on the door with a phone number on it. I called the number and left a voicemail trying to explain what was happening hoping that the person who I called might be able to help out. A short while later Mrs. Smith called and said that I had called her husbands cell phone and he was so embarrassed by his mother that he had his wife call to apologize for him. They told me that their mother was a part of their lives and had actually gone to spend time with them at their new home after they moved. She just can’t remember that they have moved. But she calls them about 4-5 times a day.
What am I to do…now I feel bad that the old woman seems to have lost her memory…
However, you can’t feel bad for too long when the knocking and doorbell ringing goes until 11:30 at night sometimes. In June of this year I had so many door knocks late at night that I called the non emergency police number to find out if they could help me at all with this. Turns out if I want her to stop I have to tell her to leave my property and if she comes again I have to call 911 and they will come and arrest her. Not that I am an advocate of that, but I would like some peace (especially late at night!).
It has been a few months now that I haven’t heard from her, but the other night I woke up at 3:30 in the morning to knocking at the door. Yes, you are correct in thinking that is when you heart jumps into your throat and you wonder what in the world is happening. I didn’t get up; in fact I think if I would have tried that I wouldn’t have been successful. After about a half an hour or so I finally went back to sleep…but it makes me wonder if it was the old lady again…
As a side note you might find it interesting to know that she still has a drivers license…if that doesn’t make you nervous on the road with people who can’t remember that their children moved…hopefully when she is driving she is only ever using short term memory since that seems to work.
1 comment:
That is so sad! Poor little old lady! I really never want to get old!
Sorry about all the knocking!
Post a Comment