Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Farmer's Market finds

OK, so if you live near me and have talked to me after I have been shopping at my Farmer's Market you know how much I LOVE it!!! Well I went there last Friday to just pick up a few things so I could have fresh fruit. I was amazed at the deals!! The 1lb strawberry container's were 3 for $1, and the green grapes were .39 a pound. Seriously I have never seen them priced so low before...

With that knowledge freezer bags and Ziploc containers were purchased ~ and it was back to the market. Last night I bought 18 packages (pounds) of strawberries, and 13.9 pounds of grapes (I really don't just know that - I happen to have my reciept here). Anyway the cart was packed full of fruit. After going through the check out line my total order was $10.65. Yes you read that correctly, I did say that I only spent $10.65 for all of that. After a few hours in the kitchen last night I can look and see that there are 14 Ziploc containers full of beautiful (and tasty) homemade freezer jam, and the rest of the fruit is stacked nicely in freezer bags already in the chest freezer. It is all very exciting for me since this year my focus has been on getting food storage put together. Now I have frozen fruit - just in case I get tired of the dried apples I got from the cannery last week.

***Here is the recipe for the Strawberry Freezer Jam***

4 cups mashed strawberries
4 cups sugar (or splenda) – make sure that you don’t short the sugar
¾ cup water
1 box fruit pectin

Mix 2 cups of strawberries and the sugar set aside for 10 minutes

Mix water and pectin in saucepan until it boils boil for 1 minute. Then add to strawberry/sugar mixture. Stir well until the sugar is dissolved (about 3 minutes)

Add remaining strawberries (about 2 cups), stir well. Pour in plastic containers leaving about ½” from top (it may grow in the freezer). Leave at room temperature for 24 hours then put in freezer.

Good in the freezer for 1 year, lasts in the fridge for about 3 weeks.

I used the Ziploc containers that were square, but only about 2 ½ inches tall, and it made roughly 5 containers per batch of jam.


~~Also for those of you who are local here in AZ. The farmer's market is worth the trip for sure!! It is just like a grocery but much much smaller (indoors of course) - and they still take your debit/credit card. It is on the south side of Main Street in Mesa between Greenfield and Higley. It is called Superstition Farmer's Market.

3 comments:

rcworkman said...

I love that farmer's market. I go there all the time. It is worth going out of your way for it!

Melissa said...

How fun! I have never made jam before...I might have to give it a try and become a domestic diva like you!

Kristi said...

Rachel - I decided to try your recipe cause it sounded way more fruity... does it set up more after being in the freezer? I usually just do the surejell recipe that has the 2 C strawberries and you dont add in two more! We will see I guess;) I made 3 batches of your recipe and one of the sure jell (which I always thought was way too sugary - so I wanted to try yours!) Thanks!!! Kristi