Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Do you remember...I didn't.

So this weekend I reviewed the Conference opening address given by President Monson and also his closing remarks...I was reminded of what he had asked us as a church to do. My question is how many of you remembered...?

Opening remarks... (quoting President Monson)

"As did President Spencer W. Kimball over 32 years ago, I urge you to pray for the opening of those areas, that we might share with them the joy of the gospel. As we prayed then in response to President Kimball’s pleadings, we saw miracles unfold as country after country, formerly closed to the Church, was opened. Such will transpire again as we pray with faith."

Closing remarks... (quoting President Monson)

"May we long remember what we have heard during this general conference. The messages which have been given will be printed in next month’s Ensign and Liahona magazines. I urge you to study them and to ponder their teachings."

"There are those throughout the world who are hungry; there are those who are destitute. Working together, we can alleviate suffering and provide for those in need. In addition to the service you give as you care for one another, your contributions to the funds of the Church enable us to respond almost immediately when disasters occur anywhere in the world. We are nearly always among the first on the scene to provide whatever assistance we can. We thank you for your generosity.
There are other difficulties in the lives of some. Particularly among the young, there are those who are tragically involved in such things as drugs, immorality, gangs, and all the serious problems that go with them. In addition, there are those who are lonely, including widows and widowers, who long for the company and the concern of others. May we ever be mindful of the needs of those around us and be ready to extend a helping hand and a loving heart."

I was resolved to do all of this when conference was over...but I have to admit I have not been as good as I had hoped. Luckily I still have my Ensign and there is still time until the next conference to study. I plan to do just that.

2 comments:

Pam Price said...

I'm so glad you left a comment on my blog...I forgot that you had a blog! I need to add you to my blog roll. :)

Great reminder. Last Sunday, as I was sitting in church with Ryan, I turned to him and said,"Oh, Conference is coming up!" He kinda looked at me and said,"Yeah, in April." I was like,"Oh crap, I thought we were in October for some reason!" HA! I've lost track of time out here :) I forgot that you were born in Idaho, so you can understand some of my pain :)

Hope you are doing well! Keep me posted!

simplyshye said...

Thank you Rachel !! It's always nice to have reminders like those :-) fur sure ... we can always make sure to reach out to others - thanks -- shye