Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Educational Weekend…

This last weekend I was down in Tucson visiting a couple of educational sites. First thing we went to the Titan Missile Museum (http://www.titanmissilemuseum.org/) it is the only one of 54 missiles that the US had during the Cold War that is still intact. Actually the missile during that time is no longer there but they have a training missile that was never fueled that is housed at the museum. A few highlights were walking through the crew area, the missile launch simulation and the facts that I learned. Top speed of the missile was 13,000 miles an hour, and within 2 minutes of being launched the missile was 47 miles straight up. Fascinating.

After viewing the missile we went over to the Pima Air museum
(http://www.pimaair.org/) there we saw many historic and modern planes…B-17, B-24, B-25, F-14, F-15, just to name a few. You are even able to walk through one of the old Air Force One planes, which Kennedy flew on. They have a black bird, fastest plane ever built (it has no defense system because it could out run any missile that was shot at it), and many other planes. I do however recommend taking the 1 hour tram ride, the driver will give you a good back ground on all of the planes that are there then you can walk around and view after and know what you are looking at or what you want to look at. After the tram ride I knew that I wanted to go in to the Space hanger and see the piece of moon rock that they have there…about the size of ½ a peanut, but still it was from the moon!

No comments: