Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Projects...

I can't seem to go very long before I have a project on my hands. This time I was really looking forward to completing a year long project of organizing the house and getting rid of anything that doesn't have a place. When all of a sudden I was knocked off course by an idea!

I haven't ever really been in love with the color of the kitchen cabinets. They are in good condition and I really have nothing to complain about.







As you can see they are in great condition. However, in talking we decided that neither of us really loved the color...next thing I know I have this...





This an example of what the entire kitchen looked like within a week. I found this stuff called Citristrip, you paint it on and wait for it to dry, the bottle says 30 minutes, but I recommend 2 hours at least. Then with a plastic putty knife you scrape it and it takes all of the varnish and stain off right down to the bare wood. That's right, no sanding. Drawbacks...well, the only one I can come up with is that it eats through vinyl, so the gloves I used for most of the kitchen would get eaten through. On the last day of stripping we discovered that it doesn't eat though latex...but my hands are peeling pretty thoroughly right now.

Then I had this...



I love the new stained color! Now, I am to a point where I have a lovely color of cabinet but the counter tops are still lovely light pink Formica. What to do...well we are trying to do this a inexpensive as we can and my husband found this website www.gianigranite.com and we knew that we wanted to try this. We ended up finding that it was sold a paint store near our home...so after applying step one we have this...



As great as this looks we decided that it would show nicks and scratches too well so we decided to finish adding the rest of the colors. Please note that I am not a painter...but the kit did come with and instructional DVD and written instructions...now we have this...







...now we just have to finish sealing the counter tops, and staining the cupboard doors and the project will be complete. Since this much has been done in 8 days...check back in about a week and hopefully I will have more progress to post. It is really hard to live with the oven and the fridge in the middle of the floor and the table in the living room so...this project will be completed before too much longer.

5 comments:

Brenden+Nikki said...

That looks awesome!! I love DIY home projects!! Seriously...I thrive off them like air :).

Jules Westlake said...

You guys did great, it looks nice. :)

Michelle said...

I love the changes. Can't wait to see the finished product!

lhunt said...

Rachel! I love this! You and Rusty did a great job!:)

Chris and Heather said...

It's gonna be FABULOUS! I'll be walking my self down to see the finished product!