I was at the farmers market today and bought some more yummy squash...I picked up some butternut squash, spaghetti squash, grey squash, summer squash and some zucchini.
I thought I would post some fun ideas of ways to eat the squash that I like...
Butternut squash...cut in half clean out the seeds, put in 9x9 or 9x13 (whichever will fit in your microwave) put 1/4 -1/2 inch of water in the bottom of the pan (after putting the squash in cut side down). Cover with plastic wrap and cook about 10 minutes. It will be soft to the touch when done. Then you can cut into smaller pieces...this one I generally eat just plain, it comes off of the peel very easy with your spoon or fork...tastes very yummy.
Spaghetti squash...cook same as butternut squash, when this one is done I scrap it out of the peel into a bowl and serve with spaghetti sauce. Much healthier than the carb packed spaghetti noodles :-)
Grey Squash...I have only ever seen this at the farmer's market. It is very similar to zucchini and I eat it the same way, just a slightly different flavor.
Summer squash and Zucchini I cook and eat the same way, just slice about 1/4 in slices and put about 1 inch of water in the bottom of a sauce pan. Cook until tender and eat. Again, I eat it plain, but it would be great with a little basil and pepper, or salt.
I started getting the magazine "Health" and it is fabulous. I absolutely love it. I found a couple of recipes in it that I have tried and many others I want to try, but thought I would share the recipes that I found so far, so here they are:
Parmesan Pork Tenderloin
1 lb pork tenderloin
3 Tbsp fine dry bread crumbs
1 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp
2 tsp vegetable oil
1 small onion thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 small zucchini or summer squash, thinly sliced
Cut tenderloin crosswise into 12 slices. Place each slice on its cut surface and flatten with heel of hand to 1/2" thickness. Mix bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper; dredge pork slices to coat. Heat oil over medium-high heat in nonstick sauce pan. Saute pork for 2 to 3 minutes per side; remove and keep warm. Add onions, garlic, and zucchini or squash to skillet and saute 5 minutes or until tender.
I love this one, but I use some of both zucchini and summer squash. The magazine said to visit www.theotherwhitemeat.com for more pork recipes...I haven't tried that site out yet, but after this dish I can't wait to see what's out there.
Roasted Squash Salad with Maple Vinaigrette
1/4 cup chopped skinned hazelnuts (I used walnuts and it was great)
1 pound butternut squash, halved seeded and cut into 8 wedges
3 Tbsp maple syrup
1 1/2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
5 cups mixed winter salad greens
1/4 cup shaved Parmesan cheese (I used grated)
preheat oven to 425
place the nuts on a baking sheet in the over, bake for 5 minutes or until fragrant. Set aside
coat a 13x9 nonstick baking pan with cooking spray. Place squash on pan, cut sides down. Cover with foil, and roast in the middle of oven about 20 minutes or until tender
whisk together the maple syrup, vinegar and mustard in a serving bowl until well blended. Add greens and toss until well combined
divide the dress greens onto each of the 4 plates, and surround with 2 squash wedges. Sprinkle evenly with nuts and Parmesan.
This one I thought looked great, but sounded different...maple syrup and mustard. After trying it though, we will be having it again.
Enjoy the squash
1 comment:
Hi Rachel,
Thanks for the recipes. I heard these recipes were yummy. I love to eat zucchini grilled or roasted in the oven. Basically, the grilling brings out the natural sugars in the squash and it is heavenly in my opinion.
Post a Comment