Thursday, July 24, 2008

Modern Day Hero's


92, of Boise passed away on July 19 in the Veterans Hospital. He was born in Conn. on June 7. Tony was married on June 4 to Mary. Tony truly enjoyed people and his love of adventure led him to lead a very full and memorable life, including tours of duties in both the Korean War and WWII as a Captain in the Army Air Corps and later the Air Force. Tony flew as a Navigator aboard B-17's and B-24's.

The above is a section of my Great Uncle Tony's obituary. I didn't know him very well, but he was my Grandpa's hero so I have heard so much about him. It doesn't mention anything here about his days as a POW in Germany. He was shot down 3 times (if I remember correctly) and was a POW for 18 months. Grandpa said when Uncle Tony left for the war he had an expecting wife and returned home to a 3 year old son. When comparing WWII to the Korean War Uncle Tony said Korea was a milk run. Granpda also tells me that Uncle Tony was raised in an orphanage and graduated college before enlisting into the Army Air Corps.

I think of this man and the many others who have fought for the freedoms that we enjoy. I greatly admire the courage of those who have and those who continue to fight for those rights.

No comments: